“You are what your deepest desire is. As your desire is, so is your intention. As your intention is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny.”
Setting intentions is about communicating to the universe (or God or your Higher Self; whichever matches your belief system) your goals and desires. It is a wish-list for the Divine source from which you draw your strength, comfort and inspiration and a preview of your future, when executed correctly.
“An intention is so powerful because it slowly shows people how incredibly powerful they are. Oftentimes people allow the day, or the week, or the month to happen to them, and when you set an intention, you are activating your receptivity and manifesting and putting out that which you intend to attract and call into your life, and that is the power behind it. I’ve seen this in my own life and the lives of hundreds of people who I work with.” – Kelsey Patel
This process is directly linked to the Law of Attraction, in which you create your reality. It is linked to the teaching of all the great prophets in Scripture as well as all life coaches, spiritual teachers and wellness gurus. Thought leaders promote this one basic principle of aligning your thoughts and spirit with what you truly want. The main phrase in scripture which reflects this practice is “Ask and you shall receive”.
There are a few tricks to setting your intentions in a way that resonates with you and allows these things to manifest in your life. The following 10 tips are the ones that we consider to be the most vital when setting intentions.
Manifesting Intentions 101:
- Be honest with yourself. When deciding what you want, it is important to remove other people’s perceptions and opinions from your thinking. Don’t say you want something just because you know that it is what others want for you. Any confusion and lack of passion can block this process from working because it all needs to be 100% authentic.
- Focus on things that you are passionate about. Passion is a powerful feeling for activating intentions.
- Write everything down. When you write something down, you are transferring your thoughts onto something tangible and visibly clear. You’re drawing your desires from an unseen feeling and introducing it to the physical. Take some time to look at your list, even if you’re not necessarily reading it. Just allow your subconscious to absorb the list.
- Write in the present tense, only using positive words. So instead of saying “I will not fail my university course” for example, you will say “I am a university graduate”.
- Pour energy into the list by creating visuals. Whether these visuals come in the form of a vision board, drawings, sigils, graffiti etc. As long as you are applying your creative energy to this list, with a positive mindset.
- Express gratitude. Be thankful, the whole time because you believe that you have already received what you are asking for. IF you have a hard time feeling a sense of gratitude, start by listing the blessings that you already have e.g. your health, your loving family, specific friends that you appreciate, the roof over your head, clean running water, your cellphone, your pet etc. Every small thing that brings you a little bit of peace and joy is worth expressing your gratitude for, and that expression will help to uplift you enough to operate from a place of gratitude. The positive vibrations will activate your intentions.
- Feel good. It is very important that you FEEL good throughout this entire process. The emotions you sow are the emotions you will reap. If you need to play some uplifting music to boost your mood then absolutely do that. Do not do this when you are in a bad mood.
- Keep your visuals in a place where you will see them regularly. On your bedroom dressing table, bathroom mirror, etc. Its important to give yourself that stimuli which will keep you on track and ensure you don’t get discouraged or diverted from your path.
- Meditate on your intentions. This gives your subconscious a chance to plant the seeds of your intention and align your spirit.
- Patience. Don’t rush these goals. Sometimes the time limits we set on goals are not what the universe intends for us. We don’t know what is best for us, only what we want. If you set the intention to earn R1 million before the end of the year, the universe may look at details that you haven’t considered, such as your ability to manage those funds, the people in your life that may drain you or take advantage of your financial state, a relationship that may be negatively affected by that sudden financial advancement, etc. Trust that your higher power has your best interest at heart and that you have been heard. You will get what you have asked for when the time is right.
This can be done yearly, monthly, weekly and even daily. Obviously the more short term intentions can be quicker and more simple, such as simply writing them down on a piece of paper with a 5 minute meditation in the morning. Don’t forget that hard work and sufficient rest are never to be neglected. Do your bit and the universe will meet you halfway.