by Lebogang Mashasha
With all the admin that natural hair requires it’s no wonder people may neglect to take care of the tools and accessories used on their hair. But when considered, it is actually pointless to put in all the effort of washing your hair only to follow that process by using a dirty comb/ brush it afterwards.
Here are some tips on how to care for your accessories and tools
- Wash combs and brushes at least once every two weeks
- Remove all the hair stuck in the comb/brush bristles
- Rinse comb/brush with warm water
- Use a few drops of shampoo, dish soap or liquid hand soap and gently wash the comb/brush then rinse with clean water
- Disinfect and sterilise combs and brushes by soaking them in warm salt water for 20-30 minutes after washing them
- Store them in a clean dry place
- Hair pins and clips need to be wiped with a clean damp cloth or wet wipe before every use
- Wash hairbands, ribbons and head scarves regularly, especially the ones used while sleeping
- Flexi rods/ perm rods need to be cleaned with a damp cloth or wet wipe and aired before and after every use
- Wipe hairdryers, straighteners and curling irons before and after use with a clean damp cloth or wet wipe
Proper care for hair tools and accessories ensures that they last longer and remain in good condition. Using dirty tools on your hair after washing it defeats the purpose of washing your hair.