by Lebogang Mashasha
Your hairline (now commonly referred to as edges) is the hair that is on the perimeter of your entire head, where your hair begins and ends. This part of your head is often exposed and most vulnerable to damage from hats, headwraps, wigs etc.
There are a number of reasons that one may suffer from loss of their hairline. These reasons include:
- Not protecting your edges when sleeping.
- Not protecting it when wearing headgear (hats, beanies, helmets, swimming caps, headwraps etc).
- Pulling hair too tightly when styling it.
- Over-brushing or “laying” your edges too much.
- Keeping your hair in a protective style for too long.
- Your headgear being too tight (i.e. helmets).
- You use wigs which do not have a soft lining inside which causes a lot of friction.
However, all hope is not lost. There are several ways to rescue your hairline from this kind of damage. Some of these preventative and repairing methods include:
- Protecting hair with a satin/silk scarf or bonnet when sleeping, exercising and wearing headwraps/beanies. Alternatively, you can use a satin/silk pillowcase when sleeping.
- Being gentle when handling your hair.
- Avoiding pulling hair too tightly when styling it.
- Being careful when laying edges, avoid overbrushing them.
- Avoid wearing your headwraps, scarves and hats too tightly.
- Reduce the amount of friction your edges experience by not wearing wigs all the time.
- Apply an oil or butter that is able to penetrate the hair follicle, so that it can be nourished and moisturised.
- Moisturise hair well as dry hair tends to break easier.
Recommended products from our range:
- Mango & Marula Growth Hair Food
- Mango & Marula Growth Butter
- Mango & Marula Hair Growth Oil
All three products can be applied to the hairline and scalp 2 -3 times a week. Following the healthy habits suggested in this article will facilitate the growth of healthy hair.